DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT – USA
NuChem Sciences Inc., a contract research company specializing in small molecule drug discovery and chemical development, is seeking a Director of Business Development for its US market. With headquarters in Saint-Laurent (Montreal), Quebec, Canada, NuChem provides fully integrated, co-located services to every stage of drug discovery projects for its clients, spanning from Medicinal Chemistry, DMPK, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, in vivo Pharmacology, protein production, crystallography, and more. The candidate will work remotely from the general area of San Diego, San Francisco or preferably Boston.
- Identify leads, develop and/or maintain contact, and establish relationships with key prospects with the objective of converting them to customers.
- Develop new business opportunities that capitalize on our current service capabilities and use internal resources efficiently to convert these opportunities into successful contracts that improve the company’s financial performance.
- Lead sales cycle with contract service and/or strategic partnerships from a generation of interest to contract close.
- Collaborate with the company’s scientists to develop tailored solutions that meet the needs of the clients.
- Work with management and scientific staff to identify project opportunities and strengthen current business ties and client relationships.
- Research new business opportunities and develop new leads as part of the organizational strategy.
- Conduct market research and gather information on potential clients and projects.
- Understand and respond to potential clients’ needs and objectives.
- Keep abreast of overall business trends, particularly the current business climate within assigned market sectors.
- Track competitor activity by monitoring websites, collateral presentations, trade journals, and discussion lists.
- Update and maintain lead tracking databases with relevant information on targeted clients, contacts, and opportunities.
- More than 5 years’ experience in Business Development.
- PhD in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry (or equivalent).
- More than 10 years’ experience gained within a pharmaceutical or drug discovery industry.
- Broad knowledge of drug discovery and development processes.
- Ability to travel within the United States often.
- Proven multitasking and time management skills with the ability to work independently and balance multiple assignments.
- Highly skilled communicator and listener with a customer focus.
- Proficient in spoken and written English, spreadsheets, and CRM software.
- The ability to present a positive image of NuChem Sciences at outside events, including business functions, industry conferences, and professional association meetings, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven track record for working in a highly collaborative, results-oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding of the business/sales process required.
The ideal candidate is a consultative sales professional with front-end sales experience and a proven track record of capturing attention, building trust, and developing long-lasting customer relationships. You must be an intelligent, creative thinker that finds solutions rather than roadblocks, with the ability to exceed the goals you set for yourself and the tenacity to achieve those goals. You should have significant work experience and existing relationships in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech industries, particularly in the field of small molecule drug discovery and chemical development. You should also be a team player who wants to join a dynamic, innovative, likeminded organization. Obstacles are an enjoyable challenge rather than an insurmountable barrier. You should enjoy traveling for business yet have mastered the virtual sales call necessary in today’s reality. The salary expectations are competitive and based on experience.