RESEARCH ASSOCIATE / SCIENTIST, PROCESS CHEMISTRY
NuChem Sciences, a synthetic chemistry and biology contract research organization, is expanding and looking for candidates to fill Research Associate and Scientist positions in our Process Chemisty department. The candidates specialized in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry will be working from our new facilities in Saint-Laurent, Montreal. NuChem provides integrated services to early drug discovery projects for our clients spanning from Medicinal Chemistry, Process Chemistry, ADME/PK, Biochemistry, Cell Biology and In Vivo Pharmacology, in the area of small molecule drug discovery.
We are a dynamic team consisting of experienced scientists and fresh graduates where everyone contributes their ideas and talents towards a variety of diverse projects. We believe in a work environment that should be fun, safe and productive with fully equipped, state-of-the art laboratories and flexible work hours. We are focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
We are seeking a highly motivated entry-level synthetic organic scientist to join our established team working on a variety of programs including hit-to-lead development, lead optimization, route scouting and compound scale-up. The highly qualified individual is expected to have experience in modern organic synthesis with good laboratory skills and high productivity. Key aspects of the role are being able to work within a team structure, propose and execute synthetic routes and engage in troubleshooting exercises when needed.
Utilize cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient synthetic routes and develop safe processes (evaluating exotherms, pressure, etc.) on the larger scale batches from 50 grams to multi-kilogram scale;
Troubleshoot problems encountered during new process development and design as required in order to investigate and resolve process-related chemistry issues;
Operate large reactors and chemical processing equipment;
Develop new product purification protocols to purify and characterize compounds using a variety of techniques including column chromatography, crystallization, trituration;
Conduct in-process testing/analysis using GC-MS, HPLC, and NMR;
Work under the supervision of the Director or the Project Manager in order to achieve the objectives of the project in line with those of the client;
Keep abreast of relevant literature and maintain a high level of expertise in own field;
Maintain lab notebook, instrument and inventory records in accord with department guidance;
Maintain all appropriate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management.
- MSc or PhD in organic chemistry;
- Strong knowledge of and experience in current synthetic methods;
- Expertise in isolation and purification techniques such as silica gel chromatography and HPLC as well as modern analytical techniques such as NMR and LCMS;
- Knowledge of good laboratory and safety practices.
- Excellent written, organizational and documentation skills;
- Proactive with strong interpersonal skills; able to thrive in a team-based environment;
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and creatively problem solve;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Ability to communicate progress effectively with colleagues and managers;
- New employees will be required to provide proof of a complete COVID-19 vaccination;
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada (Canadian citizen, permanent resident or work permit).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Competitive and based on experience.
- Annual bonus incentive plan.
- Full time permanent position;
- Health and dental care insurance plan;
- Short- and long-term disability insurance;
- Life insurance;
- RRSP employer’s matching program;
- Telehealth program;
- Casual dress code;
- Flexible schedule;
- On-site free parking;
- Continuing education;
- Career development.
- Monday to Friday.
Apply today to work with state-of-the-art research facility and become part of the NuChem Sciences Drug Discovery Team!