Research Associate, Chemistry
NuChem Sciences, a synthetic chemistry and biology contract research organization, is expanding and looking for candidates to fill Senior Scientist positions in our Chemistry department The candidates specialized in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry will be working from our new facilities in Saint-Laurent, Montreal. Nuchem provides integrated services to early drug discovery projects for our clients spanning from Medicinal Chemistry, ADME/PK, Biochemistry, Cell Biology and In Vivo Pharmacology, in the area of small molecule drug discovery.
We are a dynamic team consisting of experienced scientists and fresh graduates where everyone contributes their ideas and talents towards a variety of diverse projects. We believe in a work environment that should be fun, safe and productive with fully equipped, state-of-the art laboratories and flexible work hours. We are focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviours into every aspect of our work.
We are seeking a highly motivated entry-level synthetic organic or medicinal chemist to join our established team working on a variety of programs including hit-to-lead development, lead optimization, route scouting and compound scale-up. The highly qualified individual is expected to have experience in modern organic synthesis with good laboratory skills and high productivity. Key aspects of the role are being able to work within a team structure, propose and execute synthetic routes and engage in troubleshooting exercises when needed.
- Utilize cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient syntheses of target compounds for existing chemical series and novel series;
- Independently conduct multi-step synthesis and optimization through effective reaction planning, troubleshooting, and systematic analysis;
- Purify and characterize compounds using a variety of techniques including column chromatography, crystallization, trituration, LCMS, NMR, HPLC;
- Research current literature to formulate synthetic and medicinal chemistry strategies. Evaluate and implement new reactions, techniques and technologies to advance the projects;
- Maintain lab notebook, instrument and inventory records in accord with department guidance;
- Maintain all appropriate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management.
- MSc Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Expertise in isolation and purification techniques such as silica gel chromatography and HPLC as well as modern analytical techniques such as NMR and LCMS.
- Knowledge of good laboratory and safety practices.
- Excellent written, organizational and documentation skills.
- Proactive with strong interpersonal skills; able to thrive in a team-based environment.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and creatively problem solve.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).